The Windermere Improvement Company in Windermere FL was formed by Carl Palmer and Dr J Howard Johnson in 1911. Believe it or not homes still stand in Windermere FL which pre-date this companies formation. These homes were obviously built by craftsmen. That tradition still remains today.
Windermere Improvement Company and Carl Palmer memorial is located off of Main Street on the north end of the more famous and photographed buildings. Those include the Town Hall, Library and the original schoolhouse which is slightly further south (1 block and look close).
The Windermere Improvement Company purchased all remaining lots within the city as fast as they could. Since they were in the business of development they adopted the selling point of Windermere being a destination for northerners to escape the harsh Winters. The duties were divided and Johnson returned to Wauseon Ohio. It was there he began to market and attempt to sell the lots in Windermere. Palmer's role in the Windermere Improvement Company was to remain in Windermere and handle the sales of the lots which they had purchased.
The building shown above was built in 1911. Palmer ran the Windermere Improvement Company and the local post office out of this same building. Since there was a shortage of government building in 1911 many of the local government and resident meetings were held here until the Town Hall was built in 1922. This building was officially registered as a historic building on the national register in 1995. Visit it and learn much more about Windermere FL and the Windermere Improvement Company.